Saturday, October 14, 2006

LESSONS LEARNED...

My time at the 5K today was a little slower than the TOP OF THE HILL(47:53). Today my finish time was (49.25). I know that it didn't vary by much but I am still bummed. Not so much about my time as much as not finding out until 10 minutes before the race the my "pre" registration bib(# sheet I have pinned to me) was not intended for competition. Unfortunately the one sent to me was intended for "fun" instead. By the time it was brought to my attention by a member of the WVRR's I was afraid to try and make the switch for fear of missing the start of the race. Next time I will know better.

It actually worked out. Had I been part of the competitive group I think I would have felt defeated the entire time--I probably would have given up. There is no way that I would have been able to stay w/ the competitive pack. I am proud to say that I came in in the top half of the "fun" pack. There were people who were younger and fitter that came in way after me.

Coming across the finish line was really exciting! It actually seemed like a spiritual event. As I crossed the finish line I thought of all my loved ones who have gone ahead of me to Heaven who are cheering me on. One day I will come across the finish line of life being cheered on....Grannie Whistle will be there whistling with her pinky fingers and Paw Paw will be grinning ear to ear w/ that little chuckle of his. The race was on the SMW campus. A portion of the race route took us past the cemetary where the nuns have been buried. This brought me to tears b/c I began to think of Sister Irene Cruz--she was a gentle giant that was a gift to me during my teenage years. She was so petite and delicate but mighty in faith. She'll be there too with her arms open wide.

Today my cheerleaders were my folks, my Aunt Eva & Uncle Bob, and my best friend Jen. Jen even ran the last little way with me! We all had such a great time. In fact, my mom acquired a new guitar thru an auction.

The Ford Motor Company provided the most beautiful scarves as freebies. They were pink with really cool designs in mauve. It was soooo cold that Donnie Bill (my dad) wore one around his neck. I sure hope that mom got a picture of it. The wooly manly man had pink on and seemed to be proud of it.

Panera Bread gave out bagels in the shape of the pink breast cancer ribbon (cherry vanilla flavored). We decided to go there for lunch afterward. It was awesome. baked potato soup w/ a salad. The soup hit the spot b/c I was chilled to the bone.

All of these little event are preparing me for what I need to know and do when the Mini comes around. I can guarantee you that I will have the correct bib from now on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job Shauna! Sorry to hear it was so cold though. (so much for the global warming theory)

I'm glad you had a fun day. Thanks for participating ...for all of us.
Love,
Aunt Sparkie

Anonymous said...

Shauna, I am just so proud of you for sticking with your training & doing all these walks & runs. I'm glad you are enjoying it as that is what will keep it a part of your everyday life. You'll now be forever thin & fit. Yea!!! Keep up the great work.