Thursday, April 26, 2007

So I am really not going insane!

This past week I have not worked out a lick. I have eaten anything that struck my fancy. True to form this has all been followed up by lotsa self berating, "What are you thinking? the Mini is only less than 2 wks away--you have come too far to just give up". When I was mentioning this to my life coach she said this is a phenomenon called "tapering"--I had never heard of it. Lo and behold I came home to an email tip from the Mini:

Taper Madness
By your e-Training Coach Jenny Hadfield
“Taper Madness” is a condition known to runners and it usually hits as we begin to decline our mileage 2-3 weeks before the race. It is a condition induced by less training, race nerves and more time on our hands. It is also a time when we are both excited about the upcoming race but equally nervous about the outcome.

The Madness can strike at any moment and rear its ugly head in a variety of ways. Some of us may shop for unusual things while others may drive our friends and family crazy talking only about the race ahead....

...The madness will strike you and will smile when it happens. You may not know it until you reach finish the race. You may realize it while it is happening. You may begin to question your sanity on the plane or in the car, wonder if you trained enough or should add more to the schedule, or even purchase some crazy item at the Expo thinking you must have this to run! In either case, stay calm, review your preparation and have faith. You are well trained and adding anything to the schedule will only take away from your performance on race day!

The more rested you are, the stronger your race performance will be. As counter-intuitive as this may sound, it really works! So, take the time to rest, eat well and spend a little more time with the folks in your life you’ve ignored due to training. Consider this the official "Chill" time of your training.


Knowing that this is "normal" actually gives me the gumption to get back to the gym in the morning. I was beginning to worry that I might chicken out of the race.

Picked my racing singlet up Tues night at TNT. It is pretty awesome. Maybe I will get pics on here before the race--the folks are coming in town this weekend! Woohoo! Mom knows how to do the digital camera thing. If not, I am planning on carrying a disposable digital camera the day of the race.

A lot has been going on with Nate lately. It has not been pleasant. Trying to remember to do something for myself or putting myself ahead of him has been hard. Please keep us in your prayers. He is very hurt right now and is lashing out any way he can think of. I am trusting God that it'll all be good again in the near future but keeping my sanity during that wait is a whole different story.

Love and Hugs to All!

No comments: