Saturday, March 10, 2007

BOOKS, BOOKS, AND MORE BOOKS

This week has pretty much been the pits. I have been experiencing that monthly curse and pretty much hating everyone and everything. This week has been a real struggle in avoiding sweets and sugars. All I have thought about was running to sweets for comfort.

Instead of partaking in sweets I have pretty much inhaled anything w/o sugar. Friday was a big day for fried fish. I ate Baesler's batter dipped, deep fried fish for lunch and then attended the St Ben's fish fry w/ Jen. Imagine the fun I had later that evening when the "sugar-free" cookies I had had earlier in the day met up with the greasy fish--Aack! The cookies has warned that they would have a laxative effect.

Thursday evening, before leaving work, I had asked my boss as to when we would meeting for my quarterly goals meeting. He preceded to say, "that has been placed on hold pending a decision from upper management." I was completely shocked. Things have been kind of whacky for the last couple of months so I preceded to clean out my work space of all personal touches. I was sooooo pissed when I left. My night was pretty much shot. All I could think about was, "I need sugar!" Fortunately, I did not cave.

Friday morning, I went into his office, closed the door and told him I felt that he owed me an explanation as to why upper mngmt was involved in my goals review. He looked at me and said, "I don't know what you are talking about". I recounted the conversation from the previous evening. He was completely dumb founded. Apparently, he misinterpreted what I was asking. He thought I was referring to a position that had just become available on Wednesday due to a sudden resignation. Upper mngmt was deciding whether the position would be filled again. He was completely apologetic. He felt horrible, knowing that I had had such a rotten, sleepless night over his misinterpretation.

I am so grateful for God's grace that got me through that rough patch. Fortunately, I did not resort to eating the sweets I so desperately thought I needed.

Nate has had a friend spending the weekend with us so I have been spending all my time reading. Earlier this week I finished the most recent addition to the Karen Kingsbury First Born Series: Forever.

A couple of people of suggested I might enjoy the works of Janet Evanovich. She has a series of books with a character by the name of Stephanie Plum--a bounty hunter. I began reading One for the Money last night and finished it a couple of hours ago. Now I am on to the second book in the series, Two for the Dough. In fact, I better go to the library website and reserve the 3rd and 4th books in the series. I believe there have been 13-15 released so far.

Stephanie Plum is not nearly as entertaining as the reality show, Dog--the Bounty Hunter on A&E. Nate and I really enjoy watching Dog and his family grab bail jumpers in the Hawaiian Islands.

We have discovered a new, sugar-free, sweet treat at work. Crystal Light offers these little individual packs of powder that can be poured into a standard sized bottle of water. We have a refrigerator at work with a super-duper freezer. We simply add a CL pack to the bottle of water, shake, put in freezer for 1.5 hours. When you take the bottle out of the freezer the liquid is partially frozen. Just squeeze the bottle slightly to break the frozen liquid apart and shake. It turns into the greatest 5 calorie slushee you have ever tasted. We are all adddicted at work. My favorite flavors are Tropical Punch, Cherry-Pomegranite, Raspberry Lemonade, and Lemon hydration w/ electrolites and B12 vitamins.

No comments: