Thursday, March 15, 2007

Can't A Mom Catch a Break?

This week my 5'11 size 13 foot boy turned 15! It is so weird having to look up at him. It still catches me off guard when we are standing side by side and he is towering over me. I probably should measure him b/c he does seem to be more than 3 inches taller than me. If I ever decide to sell my house the next owners will get a kick out of the measuring marks and dates on the kitchen door frame--he is not really that far off from being as tall as the highest point.

Nate has not had a birthday party since his first birthday. March really sucks for a birth month b/c there is just nothing to do here during this time of year. My house is pretty tiny so I don't have the room to have more than a handful of kids over at any one time. Lotsa parents opt for a hotel room w/ pool access but I honestly don't want to have to deal with liability issues.

This year I came up with the perfect plan. We have a new gaming facility filled with large, flat screen, plasma tvs that hang on walls. Each room is equipped with numerous 360s, PS3s, and Wiis. There are sectionals where the kids can hang out and play with other kids from all around the facility. I have made it a surprise party. Since it is actually 4 days after his birthday I don't think he suspects anything.

Tonight I actually had to make an excuse to take the cordless house phone out to the car so I could make some follow up calls to his friends. I am the absolute worse when it comes to RSVPs--I am now reaping what I have sown over the years. I only had 1 out of 15 kids RSVP. I gave them my work# to respond to. The little girl who was considerate enough to RSVP is the girl I would ultimately love for him to marry. She has been one of his best friends since middle school--she is every parent's dream.

My next dilemma is how I am going to get him to the party on Saturday. I will need to go to Sams to pick up the pizzas and cupcakes and be to the facility a little early. I'm thinking my friends Sandy, Rance, & Stephen may have to come get him for trip to the climbing wall or to the coffee shop and then deliver when it is time.

The cost with renting the facility, pizza, drinks, & cupcakes seemed very reasonable. I will pay for the first two hours. If the teen has never been there they get an hour for free. If they choose to stay on longer it is an addl $4/hr at their own expense.

I personally am really looking forward to playing with the new Wii. As you recall, I was going to get one for Nate for Christmas and he decided he would rather have an mp3 player instead (that was until he actually recd the mp3 player and my laptop seems to have problems downloading music to it--then he decided maybe he should have gone with the Wii).

Since he knew nothing about the party I still had to come up with actual birthday surprises. I purchased a musical card from Hallmark that played Bad to the Bone, some money (his favorite gift), and a trip to the movie theatre to see the new Jim Carey movie, The Number 23 (it totally sucked, I would not recommend it). We did see a preview of a movie about the plagues from the Bible that hit in modern times that looks fabulous. I don't recall the name but I will pass it along as I find out.

We have decided for Spring Break that we are going to Indpls to spend time with his step mom. While there we are planning to go see 300 at the Imax. Unfortunately, the plans for Spring Break in Bama did not work out. In order to get him on a direct flight I would have had to drive him to St Louis and my aunt and uncle would have had to drive to Birmingham. We have decided to change it to a summer trip instead when I can go along as well. Initially I thought it would be cool to drive him to Huntsville, visit with them, and then have the folks drive up from FL go get him and take him back with them for awhile; however, I don't relish the drive back from Bama by myself.

I got a great early morning workout in. I felt really great until right before lunch time and then my butt started to drag. It pretty much drug for the remainder of the day. I had hoped to get a walk in this evening but by the time I got home it was almost dark and the 70 degree temps we had yesterday had long since passed. What can I say? I am a wuss!

This whole training thing has been a disaster. I have really been down on myself about my lack of discipline. It occurred to me today, "What were you expecting? You have always been a down to the deadline type person"--the very reason I excelled in journalism. I can pull it out in the last minutes. There is still hope for the Mini. I have not given up yet (although there have been times that I have just about thrown in the towel). As of last night I refocused and set my sights on success in May. Success will be measured in participation and completion. I will have failed if I give into my insecurities and don't even attempt it.

No comments: