Monday, May 07, 2007

Esther, I'm a coming!

Saturday morning I boarded a private bus to make the trek to Indpls at 4:15 a.m. (mind you I had only had 3 hrs of sleep that night--Fri, from 7:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m.).

It was still very dark and the moon was very bright. I took the opportunity to thank God for the changes he had made in my life physically. Although he transformed my spirit and mind 12 yrs ago I had never even been willing to work on my physical well being until Jan 2006.

Entering into the Circle City at that hour was bittersweet. It was like my life had come full circle. (I had moved to Indpls in my late teens, early twenties) During that period of my life I became a person I most certainly didn't love and the shame of those days has haunted me all the days of my life since.

That shame has caused me to self medicate w/ food ever since. I have used my extra weight as a means to keep others at a distance and to avoid participating in life. (OK, as if you hadn't already realized, I HAVE ISSUES! Too much info I am sure! LOL)

Now to the race details. We arrived w/ a little over an hour to get into place. We had about a mile or so to walk to get to the street where we lined up (see pic in previous post).

The starting line is arranged in corrals according to your skill level. The fastest are in the front and the slower taper back farther in line. If you refer to pic in previous post--the corrals are labeled A-Z. My level was "Y", yeah, that's right, next to last. I signed up anticipating finishing the race w/in 3.5 hrs. In the pic I would have been all the way back by the glass walk way over the street.

From the time the crowd started moving (around 7:30 a.m.) until I actually stepped on the starting matt was 38 minutes. The chip that tracks the race did not actually begin counting until I stepped on the matt, thank God. The 38 minutes were a blast. So full of energy and anticipation.

The first hour and a half was very overcast and slightly chilly. They had been forecasting showers. Unfortunately the ideal weather did not last long. It became a beautifally, clear day.
All along the route there are entertainment acts set up to entertain. There was a guy playing bag pipes, country, rock, gospel groups. Ska bands, tap dancing troupes, drum corps, rappers, and tons of cheerleaders. It was a hoot. There were even teen girls dressed in formals with signs reading, "HEY STUD, PROM DATE NEEDED".

Just prior to entering into the Indpls Motor Speedway I stopped under a big shade tree to change my socks and put more Bodyglide on my feet. I was in a lot of pain in my hips and lower back--hello, having a big bottom will do that for ya! LOL

Fortunately, I grabbed a couple of cups of water on the way in b/c they did not want cups on the track. The full sun beating down on the black tar of the track was not pleasant. I definitely lost the slight time gain I had had up to that point. By the time I got to turn 3, just past the official Indy finish line for the motor races, I thought I was either going to pass out and die or spontaneously human combust.

We exited the track just past turn 4--where the racing suites are. I had just hung up my cell phone w/ my mom giving her an update as to my location. Golf carts were making rounds checking on people--the track apparently can be treacherous. A golf cart went by. About 3 minutes later I kept hearing this weird sound. I started kind of spinning around trying to figure out what it was or where it was coming from--it was kinda muffled.

I realized it was ME! I was gasping for air! Something was cutting off my air. I reached out and grabbed a fence next to me and bent over trying to catch my breath. A lady (an angel from Heaven) came out of no where and asked me if I was OK? I couldn't even answer her question. Fortunately she had a walkie talkie and called for help.

The fastest golf cart on the face of the earth took me to an ambulance sitting on the 9 mile marker just around the corner from where she found me. They immediately placed oxygen on me. Yeah, I thought my time had come! Esther, I'm a coming!

I sat in the back of the ambulance on oxygen for about 15 minutes. The EMT's were wonderful. Apparently my "allergies" had caught up to me. I should have taken the meds that my doc prescribed the day before! I had started to take them prior to the race but I was afraid that it was too soon and they would wear off. By the time the race was under way and h20 was available, I was so hot, I was afraid to.

Never in my life have I had that sensation. It was totally freaky! Now I know how my son must feel as he has excercise induced asthma. Who knows, maybe I have had it all my life also--I just never took the time to excercise and find out!

The EMTs were kind enough to allow me to transfer to a 'lag van' rather than show up at the FINISH line in an ambulance. Needless to say this was not my year to complete the MINI. But I WILL be there next year!

When I got to the FINISH line, well after the completion of the race, I had to have the tracking chip cut off my shoe. The gentleman who did so said, "I will get you a ribbon". I told him that I had not actually completed it and he said, "Let me get you a ribbon". So I do actually have a ribbon. I am calling it my sympathy ribbon.

This year has been a time to learn what I am actually capable of. I CAN DO IT! I AM STRONG! I AM HEALED!

Thanks for your encouragement during this journey. I know we haven't been together long but it has meant the world to me. I have truly been blessed by each and everyone of you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shauna, by reading your blog I feel like I took the journey with you....without moving my feet of course. It was heartwarming to read about your personal progress, both physical and spiritual. You've accomplished alot and should be very proud of yourself. Keep up the training and enjoy your new zest for life! Love you!! Aunt Sparkie