Friday, May 04, 2007

My Day Has Come!

The last several of days have been kinda rough. I have managed to keep myself well for the past year. In my 40 yrs I have never experienced weather related allergies. Yep, you guessed it. Three days before the race my ears are full of fluid, my eyes are watering, my nose fluctuates between congestion and running.

Pretty much I have ignored it b/c there was no way I was going to miss this day. Friday was the worst. I was feeling crummy enough that I started to panic. I called my gp to see what I should do. He has done the Mini before so I knew he would be empathetic. All of my race materials stressed that you should not introduce anything new into your life the week of the race. Be sure to eat and drink the same as how you have been training. I was too paranoid to take anything, over the counter for the first time, the morning of the race.

Fortunately the RX did not make me feel anxious or jittery.

During the last several days I have felt like I had something in my left eye. I have scratched it excessively. The corner of my eye kept feeling like there was a needle poking it. Eventually it became very red. By the end of the day one of the nurses at work had me convinced that I had "pink eye" (highly contagious). I was totally freaking out. I haven't come this far to have something that lame take me down. I could accept it if it was appendisitis or organ donation, for crying out loud. Not Pink Eye!

I was in bed by 7:30 p.m. Friday. Wide awake at 10:30 p.m. It is now an hour and a half before my alarm is going to go off. Fortunately my eye is not showing any signs of oozing or matting.
All is packed in my fannie pack:

Jelly Belly Sport Beans , cell phone, digital camera, protein bar, cashews, gum, drivers license, Mini tips for post race, hand sanitizer, & tissues.

Motivational tunes downloaded:

Somewhere Over the Rainbow (50 First Dates version), Suddenly I See (KT Tunstall), Proud (theme to Biggest Loser reality show), Unwritten(Natasha Beddingfield), Fat Bottom Girls(Queen), Shackles (Mary Mary), ?(Nicole C Mullen), You Spin Me Round (Jessica Simpson), Me and my Gang & Life is a Highway (Rascal Flatts), there are more, but my brain is giving out on me.

Have a great weekend all! See ya at the FINISH LINE!

No comments: