Friday, February 23, 2007

Seafood....Hear Food....Eat Food

In keeping with the tradition of Lent, within the Catholic church, I opted for seafood. We had a wonderful dinner with my friend Susan and her teenage son Andrew at the local Red Lobster.

Our 20-25 minute wait, to be seated, ended up being more like 45-50. Once I was elbow deep in crab legs and butter I completely understood why the folks before us were a little delayed in leaving. Nate could not believe the "amount of food" I had eaten. Hello, he was basing that on the empty crab shells NOT the 2 ounces of crab meat that I got out of that pound of shells.

Tonight I actually took advantage of the complimentary garlic, cheese biscuits. Not that I eat there often; however, when I have gone in the recent past it seems like I am always trying to watch my carb intake. Rather than skipping them this evening I ate 3.

Today was particularly difficult when it came to sweets as there was a birthday in the office today. A couple of gals brought homemade brownies and cakes with homemade icing. You know me--cake and ice cream would be my primary staples if I went by feeling and desire alone. It seems so unfair that the nutritional value of these items are not the equivalent of fruit and veggies.

Susan and I discussed that when she attempts a low carb diet the first 3 days are the worst. She said yesterday that day three is when it starts to get a little easier. Not for this sugar addict. Today all I could hear was co-workers raving about the homemade treats, Girl Scout cookies being delivered, and the waitress explaining in entirely too much detail every ooey gooey ingredient on the dessert tray. Aack!

During my prayer and devotional time tonight I kept hearing the scripture, in my mind, "Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good". Father, forgive me that at this particular time I cannot imagine you tasting better than Cold Stone Creamery, a Reeces peanut butter egg, or an entire tray of Peeps.

No comments: